Bookzilla

Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Drowning in You

Drowning in You - Rebecca Berto This book is more of a 3.5 for me, but I'm rounding it up because I loved the story (also, GR won't let me...) Then again, I just can't ignore some things that bothered me, but more about that later.I liked both Dex and Charlee.Dex is a misunderstood bad boy, but you can tell there's so much more to him and as you get to know him, you only like him more.Charlee did grate on my nerves at times, especially when she was acting all OOC, saying one thing, but doing another. It wasn't often, but at those times I just wanted to smack her.I did feel for her, though. It was realistic, she doesn't take a martyr stand in the face of everything that's going on but has genuine reaction of a twenty year old to the situation she finds herself in. Losing her parents in a tragic accident, becoming one herself to her younger brother, just like that - living in denial that it was happening... I completely understood her.Unfortunately, I didn't feel it - the relationship between these two. If they had gotten together and I got to see them as a couple, maybe I'd see it, but I just didn't get why they were so into each other.Now, for the hard part of this review.First of all, Rebecca Berto has a wonderful writing style, and can paint a beautiful picture with words - it's the transition between each paragraph that felt choppy. At times I just felt it was confusing. Every once in a while I would find myself wondering if maybe I skipped a scene or something because things didn't make sense.I thought maybe it was because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure. I don't often struggle with following thread of the story, but it's been known to happen . Sometimes I got the feeling of being left out the conversation and I do not like that when it comes to my books.I'm unsure of the time span over which the whole story happens - it felt like a few weeks, but Dex says something about a couple of months.Another thing is that the characters were different every time the POV would switch. The way Charlee acts when we're seeing her through Dexter's eyes is sometimes the opposite of what she is when we're in her head. Funny enough, I didn't feel this way about Dex.Charlee meets Dexter's best friend, Elliot, for the first time in this story (acting like she's really seeing the guy for the first time ever), but she's been crushing on Dex ever since she knew him. I would think she'd know who he hangs out with?And something that just rubbed me the wrong way - in the beginning Dexter says something about his father beating him up or something, and mentions it later as well, which sort of told me his dad was abusive? But that's it. It might have been a forgotten loose thread, but by the end you can see none of that is true.All of this said, I really liked the secondary characters, especially Dexter's mum and Darcy!Oh, and Dex and Charlee have different voices (though at one point Dex says "OMIGOD" and I was just like WHAT?)There's one slightly graphic oral sex scene. I think it could have done without, because it's not really a steamy read and this way it just drives away the "clean-romance" readers.Overall, I liked the book. I just wish it didn't have the downs that I needed those ups to make up for. I'm thinking all it needed just a bit more polishing, a good editor to work out these little kinks, and it would have been great because the story is there - it's good.I love my Aussie authors so of course I'll be waiting for Rebecca Berto's next novel.