Bookzilla

Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

What Happens Next

What Happens Next - Colleen Clayton I am so frustrated right now. This book is slow where it should be fast, and way too fast where it should be slow.The ending just sort of...happened. I needed more, seriously.And the first half of it is oddly reminiscent of Speak and Just Listen - which are oddly similar too, but how many ways are there to tell this story, really? Well, according to Colleen Clayton, there is one more! Because Sid goes about dealing with it in a completely different way than both Melinda and Annabel did. And I will say no more about it, because I don't want to spoil it.I don't like reading about eating disorders, though. I'm not a bad person, but I just feel uncomfortable because I want to do something about it, and even if these were real people there wouldn't be much I could do. So I don't like reading about it, I avoid these books like the plague. I didn't know this one would have all the ED talk, and it caught me off guard.I don't like the way the author dealt with this, either. Sid doesn't try and get help at any point during her ED venture. She even fools her GP and mother into thinking nothing is wrong. Her mother just leaves her be. Are we really supposed to believe that just because Corey tells her that she's beautiful, she'll stop with all that? I don't think it works that way. This is my ultimate problem with story lines that involve EDs. Is there a way to deal with it without seeking professional help of some sort? I don't know. I don't think so. This is why I'm taking a star off this review.Corey...completely swoon worthy. I fell in love with him. The romance is so sweet and wonderful, I was melting into a sugary puddle while reading it.I loved her mom and Liam. They are a happy little family, none of that parents-with-issues business. Not that I mind those, but it's just nice to see that, for once, parents are not the source of all issues in a YA novel. If anything, her family was what made her feel better.It is beautifully written. You will notice how at first, she doesn't even call what happened with its real name, but as time goes by she starts referring to it (and really, all the other issues) for what it was, more and more. It happens so subtly you don't even realize it.This is not a light read, so beware. I even shed a couple of tears. But I definitely recommend it.