Bookzilla

Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

The Lonely

The Lonely - Tara Brown This book was like... reading two books. I was into the first one, which was really dark and edgy and stuff. At exactly halfway point it turns into this college BDSM drama and kind of similar to another book I read - it was like [b:Hopeless|15717943|Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)|Colleen Hoover|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353489892s/15717943.jpg|21389085] on steroids which was so weird and I... didn't like it.I feel like I should review it as two books, too, but I just don't have it in me right now. Ultimately, I was disappointed with the turn of events. It's more of a 2.5 read and I am rounding it up because... I don't even know why. Maybe I'll come back to it and change my mind.Seriously, the first half of it was easily a five star read. It was messing with my head, it freaked me out completely. There was this whole mystery about the benefactor, I was rooting for Sebastian so much, the author did an awesome job about Em's OCD and I felt just as paranoid as she did. Then when the whole thing happened I was horrified because talk about mind games - and also because I didn't exactly expect dark erotica? But it was so good and I wanted to know what was going on and I would have happily read a whole book like that.Then the second part of the book makes an 180 degree turn and goes into mopey-teenager-wants-the-emotionally-distant-hot-guy-wannabe-Dom, but-he's-been-in-love-with-her-forever. He takes and uses her any way he wants her, and she lets him. I don't even know. I just didn't enjoy this part as much, and I hated on both Sarah and Eli at times, and I mean... the book just plummeted. Sank. Compared to the first half. It was such a weird thing to witness. It's not that it's bad, I think I might have enjoyed this story if it weren't all that buildup for...NOTHING.I think the author just tried too hard to pass one of the boys as a red herring, to play with your emotions and have you love one and then switch sides. I didn't switch sides. For a second I thought I did, but then the whole aftermath of the thing happened and I was just... meh. Meh. Meh.But the writing is good, especially in the first half. And I will say that the story is at least a bit more original than what we see today in NA books. I did catch a couple of spelling mistakes, some sentences were awkward, but overall you could tell it was worked on.I really liked Michelle and Stuart, and Jake and Lyle! Michelle was a really good best friend, the two of them have their ups and downs but you can tell it was a friendship full of love for each other and they were really close.There are a lot of twists and turns in there that make you do a double take and say "did that really just happen?" I applaud the author for this because I didn't see any of it coming.And to call this dark would be... it coupled with the second half it wasn't that dark. Sure, it was playing with my mind at times, but overall it was just a romance book with a love triangle and a creepy vibe.A couple of graphic sex scenes in there. It's actually pretty vanilla, there's some spanking but that's it. I thought it was... okay. That first sex scene was hot. I think.I don't know. Do I recommend it? I think I do, at least the first half of it.