Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1)

Down to You - M. Leighton This has so many flaws I don't think I should even try and list them all.That being said, I loved it. I guess it's your typical case of so bad it's good. Sometimes that is okay. I'd give it 3.5/5.There is practically no character development. This is my biggest objection. Most of the characters are one-dimensional, and I felt that with every new introduction it was like a cameo. They disappear just as fast as they appear. You don't really get to know anyone that much.The heroine is not very likeable to me. She is pretty shallow, and being in her head was making me angry for no apparent reason. The comments she made about her mother seemed forced and unnecessary because she never dealt with it nor did it do anything major for the story.I'm a huge believer of "listen to your heart" and she kept trying to shut it off. But points to her for being a driven heroine for once. She had a goal in life (to get her accountant degree and help her father) and she went towards achieving it.We are introduced to Cash right at the start. And I was hooked immediately. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think he was a deep character either. There was just something about him. And having read the blurb, I knew that it would be a love triangle, and I was rooting for him from the beginning. I thought he probably wouldn't be endgame. I don't know why I thought that, I just did. But I still hoped. Even if I didn't like him from the start, that little speech of his by her car would have won me over.It helped that I disliked Nash with burning passion! I have a thing for cheaters-in-the-making (and that's not in a good way), and I just thought he was a prick, despite being all sweet and lovely. I don't care that his girlfriend was bitchy!Marissa. It's still the same thing. But the heroine kept insisting that he is what she needed, so I decided to bear with her and warm up to him.Falling in love in a matter of days/weeks is something I've just learned to accept while reading romance. I don't think it's realistic, but it's something authors seem to get a kick out of and it's just the way it is. This is just another one of those books where it happens, nothing else.You don't call on the twist immediately, it kind of sneaks up on you. I suspected it might happen from the beginning, but it was just wishful thinking sort of thing, because who can get away with that?Spoiler time.I have to say that The Twist borders on sci-fi to me - which is why I thought it would never happen when I realized it was the perfect solution to Olivia's dilemma. I mean, to be able to get away with that. Is that possible, to get away with that? I don't think so. It should have been handled differently! I felt kind of let down.I'm pretty sure someone would have figured it out! It all seems very dangerous and obviously illegal. For 8 years! I just don't know.The worst part is that everything he achieved, all these great things - his career, was while being Nash and if he just decides to stop doing the whole double life thing, the way he says he will - he can't claim any of those achievements as Cash! And I feel for him because I think he is a brilliant, smart man who could be anything he wanted to be.Eh. I guess the author didn't think this through enough. Or maybe I'm missing something?But this is fiction, so I'll deal with it.If The Twist wasn't the twist, I think Olivia would still have chosen Cash. Actually, she did exactly that before finding out the truth, didn't she? I understood the hurt and anger Cash/Nash was showing when she called Nash. But she chose him. And that made her a tiny bit more likeable to me.The writing is not my cup of tea. And it's not because it wasn't flowery (I actually dislike too much of flowery). The narration just seemed kind of clipped to me. Sentences too short and too abrupt. Lots of repetition.The dialogue on the other hand was pretty good, it kept flowing, carried the story nicely, and it didn't seem forced at all.The whole thing read a lot like a first draft. With a bit more work, and some character development, it could have been so much better.So, with all of these things, why did I give it 3.5 stars? Simply put - I just loved it. I think I want to know what happens next.