Bookzilla

Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover I must admit that it started off rocky with this one. I can't even complain that it was slow, I just wasn't into it. There was a lot of monologue, and we barely learn anything special for at least a fourth of the book. The only saving grace of that whole first part was Breckin. I was annoyed after Holder was introduced, even if I initially did like him, because the author just wouldn't let us get to know him.Then, not only does it gets better, but it gets amazing. Obviously, there's a mystery to be unraveled, and I couldn't wait to see what it was. I had my theories about this, actually, somewhere in the middle of the book I thought I had it all figured out. Oh, how wrong I was. The way things turned out, some of them never even crossed my mind as a far away possibility.I liked Sky. I loved her reaction to the whole dollar-bills incident at her locker and I loved her. She is such a strong girl, with everything that happened. Her story was told many times, and I'm amazed that authors still find new ways to tell it - Colleen Hoover handles the story in a way completely different than I've seen before.Holder was...intense. Obviously, he had reasons to be, but I still have a feeling we never got to see a light-hearted side of him. I loved the effect he had on Sky. And once the author starts to reveal his character and lets us get to know him, he was great. Oh, and I also liked the way he and Breckin became good friends, that really made me smile.Other characters, Sky's dad, Holder's sister, Breckin, Karen, Six were great and they all contribute to the story, not simply being there for the sake of it. However, I did not like the way Six and Breckin just sort of fade away halfway through the book.I've noticed one thing while reading Slammed and Point of Retreat, and I see it continues with this book, too. Colleen Hoover tends to go a bit overboard with all the tragedy. I feel as if she throws at her characters a lot more than they should be able to handle, just when you think things couldn't get any more heartbreaking, they do. Holder and Sky help each other through all of this, but it was still too much for me.I love her writing, at times I felt what the characters were feeling, and let me tell you that it wasn't always a nice thing, either. She paints a certain scene, the one where she has a flashback of her father actually abusing her, in such a way that I found myself thinking about it and how horrible it made me feel for the remainder of the book.Both Sky and Holder seemed a bit too mature for their age.For those wondering, yes, there are a couple of sex scenes in this (maybe two or three? I didn't really count) - but they aren't really that graphic. I loved it that she didn't ignore sex in this book, it's unrealistic thinking that teenagers, especially older teenagers, don't have sex and it annoys me when authors conveniently pretend they don't to keep their books PG. But she also doesn't just put it in there for the sake of some steam, like the case is with so many New Adult genre books.So yeah, if you loved Slammed as much as I did, I can guarantee you will love this too. I definitely recommend it.