Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Crow's Row (Crow's Row, #1)

Crow's Row (Crow's Row, #1) - Julie Hockley I will be honest, I was prepared to hate this. I read a bad review and it sounded like everything I hated in a book. I'm not even sure why I gave it a try, but I am so glad I did.It took me a while to get into it, but I think it was more real life getting in the way of reading it in one sitting, than me not being interested. I loved it. It was everything that I didn't expect it to be.I wasn't in love with Emmy from the very beginning, she seemed like such a sap and I was thinking "oh no, not another self-loathing, emo heroine". I partly understood why she distanced herself from her family and everything, but she seemed to take it to some extreme level.By the end I loved her! The transformation from a naive little girl to the vengeful, determined, calculated woman in the end amazed me.Cam. Much too young for all the responsibility in his life. I still loved him. However, I was hoping he was an undercover cop, or maybe a bodyguard hired by her brother who was secretly alive.Please bear with me, I was reading this at 5 in the morning because I couldn't put it down, so naturally my imagination went a little rampant.But I was hoping beyond hope he was actually a good guy (I mean that in the legal sense). Obviously he is a good guy.Their relationship...well. I was a bit conflicted about that. I understood where Cam was coming from, he had the time to actually fall in love with her. But I was baffled by her quick infatuation after everything she witnessed. It wasn't a normal reaction.Also, I'm not sure, maybe I missed this piece of information but how long was she at the farm? For some reason it seemed like at least three months to me.ROCCO! I have to talk about Rocco.I was sad when he died, of course, but it was such a good death. Wait, that sounds creepy. But I love an author that kills off a character everyone loves just like that. He really was a lovable character, one of my favorites. To just kill him off like that - g e n i u s. And very brave.And then, the ending.Oh, Cam, you should have been so much smarter than that! No, no, people, hear me out.See, although Emmy did seem to be that naive, compliant girl in the beginning, even I could see that she was feisty and she stood her ground when she really set her mind to.So I am really wondering what he was thinking? He should have known she wouldn't just forget about everything and let it go. That is also not a normal reaction for any person.I mean, she literally severed all ties with her family just because she didn't want to do what they expected her to! That is some major angst there, dangerous when fueled.I just, I hope she comes back with a vengeance and at least makes it a bit hard for Cameron when he realizes what he had done. I'll just bet she comes back a DA keen on taking down the whole narco-mafia or something.The writing was so good! I enjoyed and devoured every single word! The author was showing, rather than telling, if that makes sense.I was literally hooked from the prologue, it was written in such a captivating way. I think it's actually my favorite part of the book, that prologue.I do have to say, I hate it when characters go "Oh." all the time. That was my only complaint when it comes to dialogue.And I was surprised at the lack of sex scenes. It was a pleasant surprise, too. I didn't think sex scenes would fit the story and I was dreading them, but they never came and I was so glad!Don't let the blurb fool you into thinking that it's another Stockholm Syndrome story and don't let that put you off this book. It was my initial concern, too. It isn't like that (this is not a spoiler, it's revealed pretty early in the book).And I definitely recommend it! I can't wait to read the sequel. 2013 is so far far away.