Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Forever Black (Forever Trilogy, #1)

Forever Black (Forever Trilogy, #1) - Sandi Lynn Ah, these characters. Always laughing lightly and smiling small smiles. I loved them.NOT.This book started out so good. SO GOOD. The introduction of hero and heroine was awesome and I loved it.Sadly, that's the only thing I liked about it. Sure, there were some good moments, but honestly... I only finished this to find out what each of them love the other to...See, Connor would say "I love you to." and Ellery would say "I love you to." and it frustrated me that it took forever to find out what they love each other to.Anywhoo...Ellery. Selfish, spoiled, incredibly self-centered. I thought I was on her side but at 52% of this book I took Kyle's side.Yes, I did like her witty answers, and that she doesn't just jump Connor's bones and that she isn't one of those heroines.I really didn't symphatize with anything that happened to her apart from leukemia (I'm not that heartless) because she brought it all on herself with her stupid behaviour.* I have no experience with... Ellery's secret, so I can't comment on whether or not it was dealt with realistically.I would have liked Connor if he was more developed! He could have been a really good character, but the fact is - you never really get to know him. Very bland, but with this competition, he was my favorite character in the book.There was no chemistry between these two. Everything felt forced.The sad thing is that there is a really good book underneath there somewhere!The writing is really choppy, and it's unpolished - this book could have used a lot more editing. In the beginning I was really noticing the way the author didn't use contractions in dialogue (as always, I can handle it in narrative, but does anyone actually talk without using them?). Then I stopped noticing that so either I ignored it or somewhere along the way the dialogue started sounding good, I'm not sure.Punctuation, direct speech, punctuation in direct speech, this is elementary school stuff.Actually, this author seems to really dislike commas for some reason and you will notice it and feel deprived.So here you go, have some commas: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,.There are a total of six deaths (that I counted), two suicides, and two sets of twins in this story. How many people can you kill off for the sake of story? How many freaky coincidences?At one point, the author switches POV to Connor's. IDK, I thought it was unnecessary because there's nothing there that we didn't already know and that called for POV switch. It's just one really short chapter, too.My favorite quote:"I didn't need water; my tears were enough to soak the washcloth."Because that's so self-pitying and pathetic, especially because she's got no one to blame but herself. Woe.Oh, a couple of mildly graphic sex scenes, of which I only read the first one. If you can't write good sex, the book is better off without it. She's like "He took me from behind."That's it.Oh, also, they're at it 24/7. Unbelievable.Okay, I won't keep you guessing anymore - in the end, Connor says he loves her to Ellery. Which is so awesome, because now I want to Ellery, too (look at me, using this fancy, uncommon word - too).Overall, I'm actually sad that I didn't like this. The reviews and ratings are awesome and I got excited about reading it. WHEN WILL I EVER LEARN?