Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London

Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)

Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4) - Lisa Kleypas Friday Harbor series are probably the only Lisa Kleypas books that I have read and loved. I love the way she mixes your everyday stories with just a touch of paranormal to give it that extra spark.This book is the heaviest on paranormal elements so far, and that was too much for my liking - almost everything that happened was thanks to or because of magic, and it's not what I expected. Which is why this book, sadly, only get's a 3.5 from me.I loved Justine in the previous two books, she seemed like the kind of person I'd like to be friends with. This book didn't change my mind about that, and I completely understood her loneliness and why she wanted someone, but I'll say that she did come off as a bit gullible and too forgiving for my liking.I knew I'd like Jason at the very mention of him in Dream Lake. Though he has secret agenda, I was reasoning with myself that I would do the same thing, and yeah, I did end up liking him. I loved his quiet confidence, his pragmatic mind and that he owns up to his mistakes in the end."Because that’s what life is. One problem after another. You can’t control any of it. All you can do is reach out for something good whenever you can. And hold on no matter what.”These two are a good match, there's great chemistry between them, but I couldn't get over insta-love. It just seemed so unbelievable, not to mention the whole love-potion scene which completely put me off their romance. I'd also like to think that Justine did the right thing in being so forgiving, but in all honesty, she should have made him grovel.Lisa Kleypas's writing is beautiful as always, and there are tons of amazing, beautiful quotes about love and life in this book, I highlighted so much of it I can't even use them all in this review. She makes Friday Harbor come alive with wonderful descriptions. I loved a little bit of Zoe and Alex we got, and the new characters, Sage and Rosemary, the cute witch duo, and Priscilla. I especially liked all the Japanese elements she added to it (kinbaku alert!) She also deals with the theme of personal choices in this, which I loved, throughout the book the characters learn that choices have consequences - and that some things, like falling in love, are not by choice at all.Love, she reflected bitterly, wasn’t something you bargained with or negotiated terms with … it lived by its own rules. Love appeared when you didn’t want it and refused to go. It was like an invasive species that entered your garden without warning, and proceeded to grow wildly out of control, resistant to every method employed to kill it.Basically, love was pigweed.Like I said, I didn't like that there wouldn't have been a story if it weren't for magic. I was hoping beyond hope it wouldn't go there, and of course, insta-love, Justine getting over Jason's betrayal so easily, but eh...Yeah, there are a couple of graphic sex scenes in this, one of which wasn't really... my favorite.I don't know if this is the last book in the Friday Harbor series, but if it is, it's a nice conclusion. You don't have to read the other books to get this one. Like every other book in this series, it works well as a standalone, too.I wish I liked it more, seeing I really did like both Justine and Jason, but it just wasn't what I expected it to be.