Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London
Beginner's Luck: A Brooklyn Girls Novel - Gemma Burgess Truth be told, when I first saw Gemma Burgess is writing a new adult novel, I'll admit I was kind of not happy about it. [b:A Girl Like You|9712341|A Girl Like You|Gemma Burgess|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1289919160s/9712341.jpg|14600859] is one of my absolute favorites but I read a lot of NA genre and the books are hit&miss.Anywhoo, I shouldn't have worried, because the author didn't write your typical NA. The first book in the Brooklyn Girls series is a true coming of age story with a chick-litty feel so if you're a fan of those, you should definitely read it.On the other hand, if you want hardcore romance and steamy scenes, maybe you should pass.I thought it was good, but nowhere near her other two novels.I'm not going to talk about Pia much, she is your typical chick-lit heroine, a little ditzy, a little crazy, getting herself in stupid situations only to get out because she's smarter than she thought she was.What I liked about this book (and really, it's something Gemma Burgess does well in all her novels) is the friendships and sense of belonging she creates with her characters. Pia lives in a house with other four girls and they truly felt like a small family. I'm excited to read all of their stories.The writing is light and it has a few LOL moments throughout. The book reminded me of HBO's Girls a lot, except it's a clean read although (a lot) of sex is implied as well as some drug abuse.I almost wish it was deeper than it was! I mean, things happen, she gets herself into a lot of trouble, it's all solved by some miracle and that's it. I just expected more because, I don't know, it had a lot of potential.While the lack of romance is not a deal-breaker for me (don't get me wrong, there is some romance but it's so minor it's forgettable) I felt she could have taken some time to develop that as well.I also felt the author really overplayed the whole Brooklyn thing. And I've never even been there, so there you have it. It would get really annoying at times.I'm excited to read the second book, about Angie. She was the most interesting of the girls to me, and she has some serious issues, so I hope it's a good one.Overall, I do recommend this if you're a Gemma Burgess fan and want a light, chick-litty read.*** A free copy of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.