Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London
Sihpromatum - I Grew My Boobs in China - Savannah Grace It took me forever to finish this, but it's only because life got in the way. Plus, I think I'm just not the target audience for it.First thing's first - this is a non-fiction book, a travel memoir of Savannah Grace's that she wrote out to read like fiction.Maybe it was because I knew it was non-fiction, but I just couldn't get into it as I would with a fiction book. I'm just not a non-fiction reader.Second, it's so hard reviewing a book based on real events that the author lived through. This is exactly why I don't read memoirs/autobiographies - every single complaint I could have about characters and their actions and decisions is a direct attack on author or someone they know, however mild or severe. So I won't do that.The story was sweet and eye-opening. Fourteen year old Savannah is informed by her mum that they're just up and leaving to travel the world for a year.To say that Savannah read like a true fourteen year old seems like a bit of an understatement. She was being a typical teenager - a rebellious, constantly complaining, my-life-is-ruined teenager. And that's all I'm saying about it.It may be because I'm twenty-six, but I find that I just can't get into reading books about and be in heads of fourteen year olds anymore and sympathize. I know, I'm heartless.What bothered me about this book is that the writing varied throughout. I can tell that the author has the story-telling gift, and she can certainly stand behind every word she wrote because she's lived it, but she kept switching between present and past tense, and this is something that I usually can't get over in books. Past or present - pick your tense.There were also a lot of ?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! and words written out in CAPS where they didn't have to be. A lot of Savannah's inner monologues written out. A lot of dialogue that felt stilted at times.If this is your kind of book, I say read it. It's got some wonderful descriptions of China and Mongolia any closeted (or not) traveler will love, and the characters ring true. It's a bit on the longish side.Will I be reading the next book? I just don't know. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm in the mood for it. At this moment, it seems unlikely.