Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London
Famously Engaged - Robyn  Thomas TWO HEARTBREAKING STARS (imagine glittery stars .gif here) - because it breaks my heart to rate the book so low? *hinthint* ;)I've struggled with this one for a couple of days. But I was determined to finish it.It wasn't that it was bad, because it wasn't. I wish the author had the patience to develop the story over a few weeks (at least) rather than measly two days during which I'm supposed to believe they fell in love.The characters are pretty inconsistent - both of them saying one thing, doing another, then the third, it was pretty hard following what exactly they wanted.But here's the thing - I still liked them. I think this is why this book was hard for me to DNF, because I cared what happens to them because they were so clearly made for each other, but everything was happening in a very ridiculous way and too fast.The story begins with Jake just randomly deciding Beth is having an affair with his soon to be brother in law (and her ex-husband) and that he would (get this) announce to the world they're engaged and move in with her, but still keep it all a secret.I have no freaking idea what his plan was. No, really. I'm going to say it slowly (or, you read it slowly) - he decides to fake a story about bridal lottery of some sort, announce Beth won it, move in with her and have a fake engagement, but no one can know he's there. What exactly did he think to achieve by doing this, I don't know, because it makes no sense if no one was supposed to know that he actually had the paper run the story (oh, he's famous, btw).Beth, on the other hand (and I couldn't get over this) - she opens the door, and there's Jake in all his Rock God Famous Man glory (not that she recognizes him), telling her he ran a lottery she didn't participate in, and won. And she's like "no. okay. yes."And what comes next is insta-love, level: infinity.There are these little gems strewn out throughout the book.“I doubt that,” Jake said in a tone she’d never heard from him before.Yes, never had she heard that tone from him in all of one day that she knew him.He didn’t know how or when it had happened, but he’d come to rely on a daily fix of alone-time with Beth.Yes, he'd come to rely on a daily fix of alone-time with Beth of which he'd had TWO - because that's how long they've known each other.Now again, that's not to say I didn't like these two, separate or together. There's a good story underneath there somewhere and they had good chemistry, but it's hard to get over the fact that everything felt so forced because she crammed it in less than a week's time. Really, it was only like three or four days and then the end.At times it was verging on ridiculous. Completely unrealistic story line that I think would have me file a restraining order or something against someone who finds out everything about me, runs it all in the paper, then barges into my life uninvited, moves into my home, and I DON'T EVEN KNOW - but Beth is like "oh, well."The dialogue doesn't feel natural, and honestly, almost everything they said felt like info dump. There's so much dialogue! And half the time I was wondering if it's some sort of monologue or are there two people participating in the conversation.And then the ending, rushed like the rest of the book. Bam - everything fixed. I did like that Beth sort of takes control of the situation because Jake, the coward that he is, would never have done it.There are a couple of graphic scenes of sexual nature. I sort of had a hard time figuring out what was happening.And that concludes this review. I don't know what else to say.OH! Beckham and Hugh Grant show up randomly.*** Free copy of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.