Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London
Here - Eric Marier This one is more of a 3.5 for me, but I'm rounding it up because I thought the last third was really good and had a creepy vibe to it, especially near the ending where it got downright scary (to me, but I think I'm just easily scared).Let me begin by saying that the author states in the end that he wrote this entire book on his phone. On. His. Phone. Imagine the patience! It's not a short book, either. I was impressed by this alone.Anyways, the book. I chose to think that while the story has a paranormal feel to it, it wasn't really. To me, it was more of a psychological thriller. These little stories that get into your head and make you paranoid and autosuggestion gets the better of you.So, the story focuses on Sam, a young man who just seemed all over the place to me. Not that I didn't like him, I actually did. He's nerdy in a cute way, he's hilarious when he gets all flustered (and adorable). But he really does come off as desperate at times... which I sort of understood. You get to know him pretty well, and you will learn that he's had a very tough life, but you would never tell because he just keeps pushing forward and I seriously thought that there wasn't a thing that could bring him down. I liked that.Michelle, on the other hand, I had a bit of trouble liking. She had potential to be a really good character, but I just felt like I never got into her head even if parts of the story were told from her POV. The author sort of tells you what you need to know about her, but you never really get to know her, and that made it difficult for me to relate to her.I was sorely disappointed by the ending of this book, and I'm trying not to let this influence my opinion of the book. Obviously, not everybody gets a happy ending, not every guy gets the girl, etc, etc, and I felt it was realistic, but... The book in general lacks in the romance department a lot. It's not that there's no romance at all. There are a couple of on-going stories, Michelle and Trevor, Michelle and Paulo, Sam and Patience, Sam and Cass.All the while, the author develops this rediscovered connection Sam and Michelle have, and you can see the subtle hints that they are into each other. So, obviously, I needed more.Parts of this book really dragged on for me. The whole thing happens in the space of a month or so, but sometimes I felt it was much longer than that. That being said, I liked the way it was written.My main problem with it was that sometimes I had that feeling of being left out of the conversation - the characters know what they are talking about, but you have no idea. I felt like there were scenes skipped that would help me better understand why these two were actually growing so close.Ah, and there was a bit of head-hopping. I know I always complain about this, but I just need a really clear shift of POV so as not to find myself stopping reading and asking "whose POV is this again?" It's confusing and it breaks the flow of the story.But overall, it was engaging, it kept me reading, and I wanted to know what happens next. The first part of it was really about everyday life of a twenty-something still trying to find their way in adult world. Halfway through there's a little twist that finally starts this mystery going and that's when it got good for me. Towards the ending it got really creepy.There are no sex scenes in the book, but it's implied. I'd call it a clean read.In the end, I did enjoy the book. I had to put it down a couple of times due to some RL things that got in the way of me reading it, and I couldn't wait to get back to it. And I recommend it, just be aware that it's not really a romance book (if you're a romance reader, duh). Otherwise, it's a great story.Oh and, yeah, the book needs a cover. Anything to make it stand out.I am proud to be a guest reviewer at ❤ Coffee, Books & Lipgloss Book Review Blog ❤!