Bookzilla

The Liberator
Victoria Scott
Abby Road
Ophelia London
Just Breathe - Janette Paul I had high hopes for this because I love the opposites attract stories, and it didn't disappoint. I loved it so much. A friend asked me Hi Ash!:Is this like a flower child sticking it up to "The Man"?It's definitely not, although she summed up perfectly what I expected this story to be. And I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.Dee is a great character. I could tell that outside everyone sees her as an impulsive, living-in-the-moment, fun, hippie girl, but being in her head was so sad at times because she is letting her past dictate her life, or lack of it, rather. I just wanted to hug her and tell her everything's going to be okay.Is she a flower child? No. Her character is much more complex than that. She's just your everyday girl that happens to be into yoga because she believes in it. It helped her pick herself up and rebuild her body after a devastating accident and it's something that makes her feel good about herself. She's not preachy about her lifestyle and she definitely doesn't stick it up to anybody that doesn't welcome it.Ethan was such a nice surprise in this story - I completely expected "The Man" and again, I was mistaken. The author steps out of the rich playboy businessman stereotype - Ethan is just a regular guy that happens to have an insane business gene and some money, it doesn't define him and he doesn't flaunt it around like it should give him any privileges.For insta-love fans, you won't find it here. These two go from non-attraction, through easy friendship, towards falling in love. I liked how you could see Ethan realizing that she is exactly who he needs by his side, and how she slowly opens up to him and lets him in. They are so different neither of them feels like they would make sense, but she disturbs his peaceful routine as much as he disturbs hers. The author really takes the time to develop their relationship, and at times I felt it was maybe too slow (but worth it). I won't talk much about their relationship because it might be spoilerish, but just so you know, there is a swoon-worthy scene to look forward to.I loved the way it was written - it suited me perfectly. Like I said, it might have been a little too slow at times, and when it comes to Dee it takes her forever to reach that Sh*t Together stage she so wants in her life, but it was definitely worth the wait. There is amazing chemistry between Dee and Ethan, and even though it takes them a while to develop this mutual attraction, it's always simmering somewhere in the background. All the characters brought something to the story, I loved the friendships, or watching Dee and Val mend their mother-daughter relationship, and Dee's relationships with her students. The dialogue felt natural, and it was witty and sharp and real and I loved it.There are these little moments when Dee is meditating that you could just feel her just letting go of all the stress and finding that serene place in her head.For those wondering, this is a clean read, the fade-to-black kind.Janette Paul is actually [a:Jaye Ford|4676626|Jaye Ford|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1333410358p2/4676626.jpg], and while I haven't read her work yet, I think I might give her a try seeing how much I liked Just Breathe. It's enjoyable, funny and heartfelt. I definitely recommend it.**Free copy of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley.